Candidate must be located in or willing to relocate to Plano, TX.
Under limited supervision, independently executes the timely completion of assigned work orders and other Inspection Center projects by analyzing scope and determining requirements, evaluating complex product and systems to establish requirements and preparing reports. Maintains the integrity of the UL Mark by conducting various product, de vice, process, system and material inspections at various site and factory locations to ensure that they are produced and marked in compliance with various applicable technical requirements. Assists in the promotion, marketing and selling of new and existing UL services. Works with internal and external customers to resolve technical and administrative issues. Analyses, evaluates, and where necessary, proposes changes to Field Services policies and manuals and Follow-Up Services programs. May participate in review and interpretation of quality assurance programs.
- Independently performs safety and non-safety certification inspections and field evaluations in accordance with the required performance standards and requirements. Analyzes and evaluates examination and test results against applicable requirements. Uses technical judgment to determine whether noncompliance variations compromise the continued application of the UL Mark and may determine if alternative is acceptable. May audit customer quality management/assurance programs.
- Interprets and analyzes examination and test results against UL requirements, verifying the accuracy of manufacturers' measuring equipment and reviewing production and inspection records. Periodically reviews manufacturers' programs of production, inspection, and shipping to ensure products are produced and marked in compliance with UL requirements. Evaluates and facilitates options for corrective action where variations from UL requirements are noted. Understands construction and test acceptance criteria in FUII and requirements of applicable sections of Standards, FUIIs and/or procedures for "Special Competency" required categories.
- Communicates with manufacturers and customers, Authorities Having Jurisdiction and others to conduct non-safety and safety certification inspections. Investigates the misuse of UL Mark. Provides general information on policies and procedures for the varied UL services along with promoting and explaining the benefits of new and existing services. Discusses procedures, test methods, test results, sample selection and variations in products, devices, processes, systems and materials as necessary to resolve problems, implement changes to existing requirements or help develop new requirements.
- Provides technical assistance in several product categories and/or inspection methods.
- Uses instruments to perform inspections, such as micrometers, voltmeters, ammeters, and other UL supplied equipment. Observes the use of manufacturer's equipment necessary to meet UL requirements. Confirms the proper calibration of manufacturers' measuring equipment and may perform calibration of UL supplied equipment.
- Documents examination, variations and test results to appropriate UL forms. Maintains logs for scheduling inspections, time and expenses. Performs various calculations in more than one specific engineering field such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, or fire protection.
- Participates in proposing changes to the UL Policy Manuals such as the Field Services Manual. Reviews and submits comments on the new Follow-Up Services programs. Coordinates with other UL staff on conducting the field portion of File Reviews.
- Resolves process, management system and possibly engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations. Understands and applies HBSE (Hazardous Based Safety Engineering) principles and concept correctly when necessary during VN handling.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- May participate in reviewing the work of other staff.
- May participate in reviewing and interpreting quality assurance program requirements to assist in implementation of alternate quality-based inspection programs.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Minimum 2-year Electrical Engineering or Technical Degree with two to four years of related experience, Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Experience in Field, Compliance or Quality Engineering a plus
- ASQ certification a plus
- Ability to read and interpret schematic diagrams
- Ability to cross sell and understand client business needs
- Strong communication and client-interfacing skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to travel
- Candidate must be located in or willing to relocate to Plano, TX