| Extended Job Title || Custodian - Day Time |
| Requisition ID || 9834BR |
| Work Location || Lubbock |
| Org Level 1 || Texas Tech University |
| Campus || Texas Tech University |
| Department || Ops Div Custodial Services |
| Position Description || Employees in this classification are responsible for the performance of manual work involving the cleaning and care of buildings. Work is performed under supervision according to established procedures and methods, and is checked frequently and evaluated for the accomplishment of assigned tasks. |
| Major/Essential Functions || Bathrooms:|
- Cleans and sanitizes bathrooms to include all fixtures, floor, and walls
- Work includes properly restocking bathrooms, removing graffiti, emptying and sanitizing all trash receptacles, reporting maintenance issues, and leaving bathrooms ready for use
- Sweep and mop or vacuum all floors, spot clean as required
- Chalkboards/LCS boards clean and ready for use, including chalk/marker trays
- Desk/furniture clean and ready for use
Hard-Surface Floor Cleaning:
- Sweep and mop as scheduled, clean handrails/ledges/etc., outside entrances should be swept 10 feet outside entrance door, clean entrance mats, empty and sanitize trash/recycling
- Safely and effectively sweep and mop floors
- Properly and safely operate equipment required to strip/wax hard-surface floors, following established procedures to maintain acceptable levels of finish with expected quality
- Regularly and effectively vacuum carpets to remove sediments
- Shampoo and extract carpets as needed or scheduled, effectively removing spots regularly to prevent permanent damage
- Use various vacuums, and carpet cleaning equipment
- Security is maintained through effective use of “Dot Program” designating the locking conditions required when leaving an area
- Outside doors must be locked and left closed after scheduled times
- Access is not granted to classrooms without prior approval
- Participation in the STOP program is required
- Employee responsible for performing all tasks safely and effectively using established procedures
- Effective and safe use of all chemicals and protective equipment is required
- Recycling program is accomplished in the buildings on a regular schedule by taking recycling material to designated area for pickup, and returning clean recycling receptacles
- Furniture is cleaned regularly if customer leaves uncluttered
- Common area furniture should be cleaned and sanitized (as allowed) each day, leaving the area set up for customers’ use the next day
- Cleaning for special events will be done on an as needed, usually volunteer basis, and requires following specific instructions on what areas need to be cleaned and made ready for regular use the following day
Computers will be used to reorder material and perform timekeeping responsibilities.
- Restock orders will be accomplished on schedule, rooms shall be kept clean an organized at all times, and personal items should be limited
Other duties as assigned by supervisor to assist areas.
| Required Qualifications || Ability to understand simple written and verbal instructions as evidenced by the completion of an elementary school education.|
Ability to understand and follow instructions.
Ability to learn materials, methods, and equipment used in assigned work.
Ability to operate cleaning equipment.
Ability to perform physically demanding work for extended periods of time.
Applicants for this Security Sensitive Level II position will be subject to a criminal background check and must pass a drug and alcohol test after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
- Must have sufficient strength to lift a maximum of forty (40) pounds and move this load from one location to another
- Requires extensive walking, climbing, bending, stretching and twisting; sufficient strength, stamina, and mobility to perform all tasks required for the position
| Preferred Qualifications || A valid drivers license to be insurable to operate university vehicles.|
Be able to work with limited supervision.
| EEO Statement || As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. |
| Does this position work in a research laboratory? || No |
| Job Type || Full Time |
| Pay Basis || Hourly |
| Minimum Hire Rate || 7.82 |
| Pay Statement || Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage. |
| Travel Required || None |
| Shift || Day |
| Grant Funded? || No |
| Job Group || Maintenance |
| Removal Date || 04/24/2017|