Job Description: Serves as the chief staff officer under the direction of the Chairman and Board of Directors. Has the full authority and responsibility for all operations of Saugatuck/Douglas CVB.
Job Purpose: Lead the organization that promotes and markets the vitality and desirability of the destination. Current budget under $1 Million with potential to be over $2 Million.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Lead the implementation of the Preferred Future.
• Responsible for marketing the authentic destination for growth in tourism and conventions.
• Leads Bureau’s marketing and promotion activities.
• Oversee all membership recruitment and retention.
• Facilitate the collaboration to bring various factions into the Bureau as the center of information.
• Conducts feasibility study and communications for assessment increases.
• Identify new partners and create new added value services as is fitting with the Preferred Future.
• Outline and implement the annual scope of work.
• Oversee the finances and internal controls of the organization and the annual budget.
• Ensure that the budget and annual scope of work are aligned.
• Mentor association’s staff members in their responsibilities.
• Responsible for outlining the committee and volunteer involvement structure.
• Foster collaborative efforts to accomplish strategies.
• Establish an inclusive membership environment where there are strong relationships and varied volunteer opportunities.
• Coordinate the staff and volunteers to assure the scope of work is accomplished.
• Bring in new market segments to the area.
• Create a culture that facilitates the highest level of customer service.
• Responsible for supporting the Board in providing them the materials, information and visioning to make strategic decisions.
• Position Bureau as leader with other destination marketing organizations.
• Serve as association’s spokesperson.
• Responsible for the oversight of the destination’s brand.
• Research and secure opportunities for new developments that serve member’s needs.
• Identify and facilitate the application for members on new and innovative technology or trends.
• Responsible for adhering to compliance with federal and state law.
• Ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities, as needed.
Saugatuck/Douglas Convention & Visitors Bureau Seeks Executive Director
This type of position does not become available very often. This is a unique opportunity that requires a unique person. If you love art, culture, and authentic destinations, plus you have the desire to be the destination marketing leader of a Lake Michigan community that is known for its class, creativity and diversity, then this position is for you.
The Saugatuck/Douglas Convention & Visitors Bureau (S/DCVB), a destination marketing organization, has created a new Preferred Future that outlines the vision of what they want the new executive director to lead and accomplish. The Board and community are embracing the opportunity for an increase in the assessment. The goals of an aggressive marketing and promotion campaign that increases visitors by 15%, new and expanded markets are targeted, customer experiences are improved and internal operations are efficient will set this Bureau and destination apart from others.
The professional, enterprising individual selected will have knowledge and experience in destination marketing, marketing plan design and implementation, stays current on industry trends, creates alignment and fosters collaboration to bring multiple organizations and businesses together. Understanding hospitality, travel and destination marketing is required. This executive will work with a group of dedicated members and a community that is ready to maximize the strong volunteer leadership base, and creates innovative member and community engagement projects.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree or higher preferred. Living in the assessment district required. Professional travel is required to represent the association. Position requires knowledge and utilization of the newest marketing technologies and cost-effective means for collaboration.
The Preferred Future and job description are available at http://bit.ly/edsdcvb. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, salary expectations and resume by April 19 to:
MSAE/Cheryl Ronk, CAE
Attention: S/DCVB Search Committee
1350 Haslett Road
East Lansing, MI 48823