Other companies make products. We make a difference! Click Here!
Promoting safe living and working environments.
UL is a global independent safety science company with more than a century of expertise innovating safety solutions from the public adoption of electricity to new breakthroughs in areas such as sustainability, renewable energy, mobile payment security and nanotechnology. Dedicated to promoting safe living and working environments, UL helps safeguard people, products and places in important ways, facilitates trade and provides peace of mind.
Join our Product Safety Certification team and make a difference!
UL is seeking an experienced Safety Certification Senior Engineer to join our Consumer-Technology team in Fremont , CA.
Under minimal supervision, the engineer independently manages execution and timely completion of engineering projects in multiple product categories by analyzing project scope and determining project specifications, establishing test programs for complex product investigations, and preparing reports for clients. Develops UL requirements, test methods, and test equipment for complex, new or unusual products. Exercises Project Handler Signature Authority as Project Handler of record responsible for opening, maintenance, completion, and closing of assigned new work engineering projects. Exercises Review Signature Authority as assigned as Reviewer of record responsible for initial review, status review, and final technical review of all new work engineering projects.
- Independently determines project scope, develops a preliminary plan of investigation, and determines project specifications such as cost, time, and sample requirements by analyzing client input, available supplemental data, and product construction. Projects may include frequent travel to conduct or witness tests at client sites.
- Initiates communication with clients to promote and explain the benefits of new and existing services. Follows up on contacts from clients. Communicates with clients to discuss technical issues, explain UL procedures and requirements, convey project cost, and negotiate completion date and sample requirements. Acts to address client concerns and to resolve complex client issues. Provides technical assistance to clients in reference to product inspection and follow-up services.
- Establishes appropriate test programs by reviewing files and manufacturer's information, examining samples, and applying UL requirements. Determines areas in which the product is not in compliance with UL requirements or of any changes in project scope or specifications, and notifies client.
- Coordinates complex laboratory activities by preparing data sheets and instructions to technicians and by establishing completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management. Serves as Project Handler of record and signs as Reviewer of record as assigned.
- Communicates project status and results to clients through frequent contact and by preparing reports. Prepares Follow-Up Service Procedures and information pages.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Resolves complex engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations.
- Develops UL requirements for testing products beyond the scope of existing standards, or those involving unique features requiring frequent use of independent judgment. Develops special test methods and test equipment. Coordinates and/or performs File Reviews. May represent UL on technical committees and/or industry-related functions such as seminars and trade shows.
- May provide direction as a Primary Designated Engineer or Designated Engineer for specific product categories.
- Directs and reviews work of assigned staff. Trains office, field, and/or laboratory staff and entry level engineers. Provides technical assistance in several product categories, operations or systems to laboratory and/or field staff.
- Performs other duties as directed.
University Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Industrial Technology, Manufacturing Technology, or Physics from an ABET accredited program plus eight years directly related work experience. Detailed knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the appropriate discipline. Working knowledge of conformity standards in use in areas of expertise. Demonstrated ability to apply project-handling concepts in use in areas of expertise, including application to complex, new, or unusual products. Working knowledge of industry issues, needs, and problems.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis without sponsorship both now and in the future.
Applicants must be able to relocate without financial assistance.